1. To follow the example of Jesus “At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river” (Mark 1:9)
2. Because Jesus commanded it “Jesus said, ‘Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
3. It demonstrates that I really am a Believer
“We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey
(1 John 2:3)
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
1. It illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection “Christ died for our sins…He was buried…and he rose again.” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
2. It illustrates my new life as a Christian “When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
3. Baptism doesn’t make you a Christian
Only your faith in Jesus does that! Baptism is a lot like a
wedding ring- it’s the outward sign of the commitment you
have made in your heart.
1. Because Jesus was baptized that way “As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.” (Matthew 3:16)
2. Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion “…both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him…” (Acts 8:38-39)
3. The word “baptize” means “to dip under water”
4. It best symbolizes a burial and a resurrection (Romans 6:1-11)
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
Every person who has believed in Jesus Christ. A Believer is someone who has realized that their sin has separated them from God. They have given up all efforts to reach God through good works or religious activity. They have concluded that Jesus death on the cross for their sins is the only thing that can bridge the gap between them and God. A Believer is someone who has decided to trust Christ alone for their salvation. If you have come to that point in your spiritual journey, then you are ready to be baptized. (Acts 2:41; 8:12-13)
The New Testament shows no example of baptism when the person did not request it. All instances of baptism followed an individual’s decision to trust Jesus alone for their salvation (Acts 2:41; 8:12; 10:47-48).
At Journey, we wait until the
child is old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them. When a child makes
the decision for Christ, we gladly baptize them into the Christian faith.
We also believe that if you have not experienced adult baptism, even though you have experienced baptism as an infant,
the full meaning and significance of baptism has yet to take place in your life. We strongly encourage you to be baptized
as an adult believer.
As soon as you have believed. Acts 8:12 says, “But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news
of the kingdom of God and the names of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.”
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
Dress in clothes you don’t mind getting wet! You should wear a dark shirt and shorts or pants. Remember to
bring a towel and change of clothes to wear home. Please arrive 30 minutes before the experience is
scheduled to begin for some last-minute instructions.